Governments and businesses are taking the steps they can to help the environment. You can begin at home if you wish to participate in the green revolution. Start with using eco-friendly fuel like propane instead of conventional energy sources. Keep reading to learn the answer to the question, “How is propane environmentally friendly?”.
Why Is Propane Environmentally Friendly?
Fuel products aren’t equal. It’s easy to lump them all together and not mind the category. However, this only prevents you from discovering excellent options for your current energy source. Propane fuel is worth a look. It is an odorless and colorless gas that is the byproduct of natural gas processing. You may be familiar with it by its other names, like propane autogas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). It can power cars, and households usually utilize it for heating and cooking. Keep reading to know more about its pros over other types of fuels.
The Benefits of Propane
Propane is a clear choice if you want guilt-free fuel. Its inherent characteristics place it above others. Propane is non-toxic, clean, and energy efficient. It can keep your home running without causing harm to the environment. We dive deeper into each of propane’s advantages below:
- Propane is Cleaner: Greenhouse gases are contributors to climate change. Everyone should make reducing it their top priority. You can lower your home’s carbon emissions with a simple conversion to propane. It is cleaner than electricity, which usually depends on notorious coal-powered plants.
- Propane is Non-Toxic: Toxicity isn’t a concern with propane. Propane is non-toxic, so your household is safe if you switch to this substance. Leakage chances are small, and if it does occur, you can be sure that it won’t pollute your immediate environment. It will not accumulate in the soil nor impact your water sources. Call your propane dealer and inquire about propane tank replacement when it’s time to have one.
- Propane is More Efficient: Other options need a high heating capacity, like cooking food or running a fireplace. You need to achieve high temperatures to warm up water and spaces. Electric equipment tends to struggle in doing these tasks. They require a long time to warm up while consuming more energy. Propane appliances can heat up 40% faster as it burns hotter than natural gas.
- Low Carbon Footprint: One of the worst greenhouse gases is carbon dioxide (CO2). The bad news is that we generate massive amounts of CO2 during fuel combustion. As a result, riding a car or flying in a plane produces high emissions. Boilers and furnaces also utilize gallons of fuel daily, especially during winter. We can travel less, but it is hard to stop using heating systems completely. Propane has a lower carbon footprint than most fuels using an energy-equivalent basis. This means it can burn for the same amount of time while emitting less carbon dioxide. The production of propane also generates minimal greenhouse gasses. This is unlike natural gas refinement, which releases copious amounts of undesirable compounds like methane. US authorities have classified propane to be a clean-burning fuel.
- Propane Compared to Other Air Pollutants: Fuel emissions also contain other substances that contribute to air pollution. Particulate matter can trigger asthma attacks, sulfur oxides can cause harmful acid rain, volatile organic compounds can contribute to ozone formation, and carbon monoxide can cause poisoning. Many fuel types likely produce large amounts of these substances during combustion. Fortunately, propane has little to no pollutants.
Why Propane Is Not Considered a Greenhouse Gas
It may seem like natural gas is better than propane when it comes to environmental impact at first glance. Natural gas generates less CO2 during combustion. However, you should remember that this isn’t the only greenhouse gas to watch out for. There is also methane, which is more potent than CO2. Natural gas processing emits a significant methane amount into the atmosphere.
Propane doesn’t behave like a greenhouse gas. If there’s a leak, propane gas quickly loses its potency after oxidation. Precipitation can also keep propane from rising into the atmosphere so it doesn’t get to interact with other compounds. According to decades of studies, researchers don’t consider propane a threat to global climate.
Why Propane Is Better Than Electricity
Electricity is a major residential energy source. Many see it as the best option for the environment, but this isn’t always true. You should consider the production method first. Electricity has to come from somewhere. Some primary energy sources converted to electricity are diesel, wind, sunlight, burnt coal, nuclear power, and flowing water. Each region utilizes a different one, depending on the available resource. Cheaper energy sources are usually favored instead of eco-friendly materials.
Propane doesn’t have this complication because what you see is what you get. It is a direct energy source with minimal emissions, so you do not have to worry about the impact your home may have on the environment. Using compatible appliances, you can enjoy a warm home during the winter and cool your food throughout the year.
Most propane used today is from fuel processing. It can be extracted from natural gas and crude oil with minimal emissions. It has an eco-friendly manufacturing process, but the industry wishes to improve it further. Be on the lookout for renewable propane in the future. It is derived from discarded products like used cooking oil. This way, waste is turned into clean fuel to help further reduce pollution while making green living more accessible.
There is an ongoing environmental crisis. This problem has no single solution. We require going through several paths toward clean energy. Propane is a viable energy source for homeowners who want to go green. Contact your local propane company, like Tevis Energy, to learn more about its storage, delivery, and other linked issues.
Call Tevis Energy For Superior Propane Delivery Services
Be sure to call Tevis Energy for high-quality propane delivery services in central Maryland and southern Pennsylvania. Rest assured that our top-notch fuel deliveries are quick, friendly, and affordable. You are guaranteed to receive unbeatable service at all times. Give us a call today so we can discuss our company’s different delivery plans and financing options.
We also provide a complete list of HVAC services to help improve your energy efficiency, indoor air quality, and comfort at home. A few of our services include heating and cooling repairs, maintenance, installations, and many more. Call Tevis Energy now!