The furnace and its installation are equally crucial. HVAC professionals always remind homeowners to ensure that their furnaces are correctly installed to avoid the problems associated with improper furnace installation. Accurate furnace installation is important as it assures proper system operations. This will directly affect your system’s performance and efficiency. Therefore, the heating system should be sized and installed correctly to ensure that it works safely and as expected. This article discusses why it is vital to get proper furnace installation.
Why It Is Essential To Conduct A Manual J Load Calculation Before Installing Your Furnace
- 1 Why It Is Essential To Conduct A Manual J Load Calculation Before Installing Your Furnace
- 2 Safety Issues That Occur With An Improperly Installed Furnace
- 3 Call Tevis Energy For All Of Your Heating Needs
A Manual J load calculation is a crucial step to ensure that your HVAC system is correctly installed. It will help you find the right size and capacity, so you know which HVAC system to purchase. Below is everything you need to know about the Manual J load calculation and why it is necessary.
Why Performing A Manual J Load Calculation Is Needed
The Manual J Load calculation helps determine the required cooling and/or heating capacity of an HVAC unit. It is based on several factors, such as the total floor area, building materials, insulation, wall positions, and other critical aspects. This calculation is needed as it determines the HVAC system capacity, generally measured in tons and British Thermal Units or BTUs. The HVAC ton refers to the system’s capacity to melt 1,000 kilos of ice in a day. One ton equals 12,000 BTUs/hour.
A Manual J calculation matters because every home has different needs. Each home varies when it comes to design, structure, materials, and even occupants. The HVAC system needs to have the correct size and capacity to maintain even and constant indoor temperatures. Having an HVAC system that’s either too big or too small can result in an overworked and inefficient system. The system will experience problems like short cycling or when it repeatedly turns on and off. Your home will also feel uncomfortable as the system cannot cool or heat the inside space properly. The system will also suffer from premature wear and tear because it overstrains to meet the temperature demands of your home. As a result, the system will fail prematurely.
Safety Issues That Occur With An Improperly Installed Furnace
Problems caused by an incorrectly installed HVAC heating system result in inconvenience and safety issues. Listed below are some problems homeowners might encounter:
A system that’s not connected correctly could result in a gas leak. Gas furnace systems produce carbon monoxide and the gaps between the joints can cause this gas to leak. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, combustible, toxic gas that can cause harm to both humans and pets.
Wiring problems are one of the most worrying issues that stem from improper furnace installation. Faulty wiring can result in power-draining, circuit breaker tripping, and an increased likelihood of fire. It can also cause system inefficiency, so you’ll end up paying more than usual for the energy consumption of your HVAC system.
Furnace Venting Issues
Improper venting can mean that the pipes are of the wrong size or made of the wrong material. It can also be that the system is not vented accurately in the first place. If this is the case, expect to experience HVAC system issues in no time.
Improper furnace installation strains your system to deliver the required temperature. Even so, it still fails to achieve the desired temperatures, so you end up feeling discomfort inside your home.
Additional Issues Associated With Improper Furnace Installations
This will also lead to several other issues like:
- Poor Indoor Air Quality – Your home’s indoor air quality depends a lot on your HVAC system’s operations. Having a poorly designed drainage system can mean water can leak. As a result, you might suffer from structural damage in your home. Letting the water accumulate can also lead to mold and mildew growth, leading to poor indoor air quality.
- Air Distribution Issues – Incorrect furnace and ductwork installation can mean that there is poor air distribution. The unit’s output capacity might not match the size of the ducts. Any air distribution issues can result in an inefficient system and uneven indoor temperatures.
- Hot or Cold Spots in Your Home – Problems with air distribution can cause hot and cold spots throughout your home as well. For instance, some rooms could be warmer while others are colder. This causes discomfort and even safety issues.
What To Look For In An HVAC Technician For Your Heating System Installation
A highly trained and licensed HVAC company is needed to ensure that the furnace installation is done properly. Listed below are a few things you should check before you call your local heating installation company:
- HVAC Industry Certifications – When hiring an HVAC contractor, make sure that you choose one that has the proper industry certifications. For example, if you work with a contractor that has a NATE certification, then you know they have gone through the proper training that is required to receive their licensing. NATE stands for the North American Technician Excellence. It is a certification given to HVAC technicians who pass this independent body’s core and specialty tests. This organization certifies technicians working in the installation and/or service industries via a knowledge-based exam. Having a NATE certification means that the technician passed the industry standard and is highly competent in their job.
- Licensed and Bonded – A licensed technician has trained and studied to ensure they are qualified to do the tasks in their line of job. You can be assured of competent work when you hire licensed technicians. On the other hand, an HVAC contractor license bond is an insurance type that protects both technicians and clients in case problems crop up later.
- HVAC Contractor References – It is always recommended that you ask the HVAC installation company for references before hiring them. Former and current customers of a competent company that performs well will have no problem recommending them to new clients.
Companies that offer heating services help keep our homes safe and comfy during the cold season. One of the surefire ways to do this is making sure that the furnace is installed correctly. When you have a right-sized system, you can be sure that you’ll receive year-long comfort, safety, and efficiency.
Tevis Energy’s sister company, Modern Comfort, performs HVAC installations, replacements, tune-ups, and more. Our technicians can provide you with expert HVAC services to ensure that your system provides you with the comfort and efficiency you deserve. Call now to schedule a free consultation.
Call Tevis Energy For All Of Your Heating Needs
Tevis Energy provides high-quality heating and cooling services in the area. We have highly skilled and professionally certified technicians for all your excellent HVAC service needs. All our friendly techs are knowledgeable, experienced, and trained to correctly conduct installations, replacements, tune-ups, and repairs to any HVAC system.
When you need a heating system repair or replacement, do not hesitate to call Tevis Energy. We guarantee highly competitive heater repair and replacement prices in the area. Should you need to replace your system, we can recommend the most suitable solution that fits your budget and needs. We always prioritize your home’s energy efficiency, comfort, indoor air quality, and more. Book an appointment and contact Tevis Energy today for a free, in-home estimate.